Visio Divina is an ancient form of contemplative prayer. Visio Divina uses an art form like a painting, a sculpture or a drawing to engage our visual senses as we enter and linger in God’s presence.
The basic steps in practicing this form of prayer and meditation are as follows:
- Close your eyes and pray. Ask the Holy Spirit to calm your mind.
- Breathe deeply (Inhale -hold your breathe for atleast 5 seconds- exhale slowly)
- Read the passage in focus.
- Close your eyes. Ask the Holy Spirit to guide your thoughts.
- Now look at the image/sculpture or drawing.
- look at the whole image. Note what catches your eye.
- Close your eyes.
- Now open your eyes and focus your attention on what caught your attention.
- Close your eyes and allow your mind to make connections between the text and the part of the image you are focusing on.
- open your eyes and gaze at the entire image.
- Close your time in prayer.